Monday, April 5, 2010

Fabric Collecting

I can admit that I have a problem with fabric. I like it. A lot. I have way.too.much.fabric in my house. (As if there were such a thing!) But sometimes something calls to me and I have to take it home. And sometimes I end up spending a good long time admiring it before it tells me what it wants to become.

And, sometimes, the project comes first. Such is the case for our bedroom quilt.

As recently stated, I'm new to this whole quilting thing. But I'm hooked. The idea of doing a big, bed-sized quilt has been attractive - and really, really scary! - for awhile, but I've decided to take the plunge. To that end, I've chosen a pattern (one of the Canasta quilts from Oh, Fransson!) and started amassing fabric. It's going to be a process, because I know what I want but the idea of dropping that much money on that much fabric all at once makes me feel a little faint. To be honest, I'm not even going to *think* about backing fabric until the quilt top is finished...and that's a ways from happening.

So, I go admire my pretty new fabric now and again and look at pictures online trying to decide which bit to buy next.

Thus far, I've collected:

Photobucket

These are from Nature.ology by Studio E. Purchased from Bratpacks Fabrics awesome Etsy shop. The prints are: "Birds" in brown, "Blowing Leaves" in neutral, "Birds of a Feather" in brown and "Through the Forest" in turqiouse.

Photobucket

These are "Mingle Cocoa" by Robert Kauffman and "Words" in olive from the Nature.ology collection. Purchased from Fashionable Fabrics. (Who also has an Etsy shop, but I purchased these directly so that I could tweak the order request.)

Four yards total. Half of the printed fabric that I need for the quilt top. Once it's all here, I'll decide on coordinating solids and plan to buy that all at once. And then I can get this baby underway!

Until then...I'll just keep staring and petting and imagining how pretty the quilt will be when it's - someday - grown into a quilt.

(By the way, I highly recommend purchasing from both Bratpacks and Fashionable Fabrics! Both transactions went beautifully, with excellent communication, and I got the fabric really quickly. I'll definitely be shopping in both locations again! Elizabeth at Oh, Fransson! is also quite awesome. I am ADDICTED to her blog.)

Links:
Bratpack Fabric: http://www.etsy.com/shop/bratpacksfabrics
Fashionable Fabrics: http://www.fashionablefabrics.com/
Oh, Fransson! (Etsy shop): http://www.etsy.com/shop/OhFransson
Oh, Fransson! (blog): www.ohfransson.com

No comments:

Post a Comment