I've been in love with play food for awhile. We started collecting it when Bug was about eight months old. (We got an awesome crocheted set of fruit and veggies from my friend Crystal at Loin Cloth. I highly recommend asking her for a set.) When Bug got his play kitchen for Christmas last year, we added a fairly good selection of wooden food. We've never managed any felt food, though I've been eyeballing it for awhile. It's just so cool looking!
After having read a million and four tutorials on making felt (not felted...still out of my league) play food, I decided to take the plunge and try to whip some up in time for Christmas. I'll split what I make between Bug and his best friend back in Texas, who's been really into his kitchen and store set-up.
Here's my take on eggs. And I aplogize if I'm essentially repeating someone else's tutorial. I've read a lot of them and absorbed a lot of tips from different places but ended up winging it. Not trying to steal from anyone. :)
I started with two sheets of off-white and one of yellow-orange poly felt. I would have preferred wool, but it was outside of my budget.
On one sheet of off-white felt, I drew egg-y shapes. I managed five, though with better planning I think I could have gotten six to fit. Sorry, no photo of that step.
I found a round lid that was a good size for the egg-y shapes, and cut circles out of the yellow felt. Pinned them in place on top of the single sheet of off-white.
Because I thought it would look nice, I used a zig-zag to stitch the yolks in place.
When the yolk pieces were almost sewn into place, I paused and stuffed just a tiny bit of stuffing beneath. I was thrilled to discover bamboo fill but, again, the poly stuff was in my price range. Wool roving or small fabric scraps would also work. Or you could just leave them flat. That looked nice too, but I wanted them a little puffy.
Once all the yolks were sewn into place, I pinned the second off-white sheet of felt to the back (to add a bit of thickness and make them a tiny bit more stiff) and stitched just inside the lines I'd drawn. When all of the eggs had been sewn together, I cut between the stitching and the drawn lines and...voila! Eggs!