Sunday, December 26, 2010

Easy-Peasy Truffles

I hope everyone had a really nice time celebrating their winter holiday of choice. :)

We had a really great time and I'm looking forward to sharing some pictures a little later.  Right now I'm just too wiped out to resize photos, so I'll talk about food instead.  No pictures because it was all DEVOURED, but I made some yummy truffles to contribute to the holiday food selection.  It's becoming a bit of a tradition. :)

I know that this recipe came from somewhere, but it's been a few years and I couldn't say where.  Apologies.  I'd like to offer credit where it's due.

These truffles are SO STINKIN' GOOD...and remarkably simple.  You need baking chocolate - in a form that will melt - and cream cheese.  Whatever amount of cream cheese you want to use, have double the amount of chocolate.  Or equal parts of two different chocolates.

Melt 1/2 of your chocolate.  I do this on the stove so that I can watch it, but I suppose you could do it in the microwave and just keep an eye on it.  You don't want it to burn.

Once the chocolate is melted, mix in your cream cheese.  (I tried this over low heat this time because I was using a block of cream cheese and it worked out okay.  Just watch your heat.)

Once the cream cheese and melted chocolate are mixed together, put it in the fridge to cool.  About two hours.

When the chocolate and cream cheese mixture have set up a bit, remove from the fridge and melt the last half of your chocolate.  Form balls of the chocolate and cream cheese mixture and dip in the melted chocolate.  Set aside for coating to harden and then enjoy.

I tried something different this year and used almond bark for the truffle innards and Wilton meltaways for the coating.  They turned out nicely when the finished product was stuck in the freezer, but I wouldn't recommend it for truffles you'd like to leave out for the grabbing.  The almond bark had a lot more oil/fat in it and never really solidifed the way I'm used to.  Luckily, the meltaways hardened and held the truffles together.  Next time, I'll just spring for the good chocolate to begin with.  (In the past I've used both Hershey and Ghirardelli. Both work beautifully.)

No comments:

Post a Comment