Monday, June 11, 2012

Pillow Talk Swap

It's been about a year since I've done a swap, and I've recently joined two over on flickr.  Modernista Homemade, a brand new group which I'll post more about very soon, and The Pillow Talk {Swap}.  I've been eyeballing PTS since I first discovered flickr swap groups over two years ago and I'm actually kind of breathless that I was accepted.  Seriously, the level of ingenuity and beauty of design in this group is A-MAZING.  I'm trying very hard to not let my inferiority complex creep in. ;)

My partner filled out her form and put up a great mosaic, but I've still been feeling a bit directionless.  Then I saw this awesome quilt that QuiltDad did, from Lizzy House's Outfox the Fox pattern, and was kind of inspired.

...But how to work it into a 20 inch pillow top?  Hmm...

I fiddled with it.  I mapped.  I sketched.  And I could NOT figure out how to make it fit without it getting all kinds of weird.  Finally, I realized that I was going to have to lop off just a few squares to make it work the way I wanted it to.  I sketched some more, then downloaded a very simple shareware quilt block program to see if I could mock up something that would show the modified design well.  It was in a weird format, so I ended up having to dump it into Paint to post it.  (Which also meant that the colors were pretty garish.)


I posted the graphic pretty late last night and it's gotten good feedback, so I'm moving forward with it for now.  Which meant choosing fabrics.

My partner gave very few clues as to her decorating colors and the items in her photostream and blog didn't really point me to anything in particular.  I *think* she'll like brights though, and I'm certain that a white background would be best, so these are the fabrics I'm considering right now.





I really only need one of the black and white fabrics, but I'm still trying to decide which I like the best.  Hopefully she'll weigh in.

And, lucky for me, if she doesn't care much for the colors, they're PERFECT for my Modernista partner. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment